The Motability Scheme – a quick overview
The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to exchange either their Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or their War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement to obtain a new car, powered wheelchair or scooter.
To lease a car from Motability, you must be receiving either:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or,
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS).
There is no upper age limit. As long as you receive one of the allowances, you are eligible for the Scheme. If you are a parent or guardian of a child aged three or over who receives the allowance, you can order a car for use on their behalf.
To lease a car through Motability you must have at least 12 months' award length remaining. Only the Higher Rate Mobility Component is used. Other parts of the DLA are not affected.
Motability may be able to support you by
- Advising you about cars and adaptations that would meet your needs; some of which may be available at a low Advance Payment.
- Arranging a lease extension on your current Motability car if it is still suitable.
- Arranging a mobility or driving assessment to find out exactly what you need.
- Considering an application for financial help towards the solution that meets your needs.
If Motability is able to provide financial help, customers are still expected to contribute as much as they can afford towards a vehicle solution that will meet their mobility needs. There is a lot of demand for financial help and Motability try to ensure that the available funds are used to help as many people as possible to become or remain mobile.
Adaptations are devices that can be fitted to a vehicle so that driving is safer and more comfortable and getting in and out of the car is made easier. There are a number of adaptations available, many for no extra cost that could improve your motoring experience. This includes adaptations to help with:
- Stowing your wheelchair or scooter.
- Getting in and out of the car.
SDL are a Premier Motability Adaptation and Converter Partner
If you think you may benefit from an adaptation in your new car, Motability's Managed Adaptations Programme offers a wide variety of options that could make your driving experience more comfortable. The Programme takes away the hassle of organising adaptations by managing the process for you from start to finish.
Motability may be able to help with the following:
- Advance Payments on standard production cars. This is the one-off upfront payment on a car adaptations, such as swivel seats and wheelchair hoists.
- If you are worried about the cost of more basic adaptations, such as hand controls, pedal modifications and steering knobs, call 0845 456 4566 – Motability may be able to provide these fitted and free of charge.
- Driving lessons: if you are a Motability customer aged between 16 and 24, you may be eligible for help towards the cost of driving lessons.
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) for customers who wish to get in a car while seated in their wheelchair, whether as a driver or passenger. There is a lot to consider in seeking one of these mostly larger vehicles but, in the right circumstances, they can be a great solution. Applications for these vehicles can, in some cases, take a little longer and may require a mobility assessment to fully understand your needs.
If you receive the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement and have a Motability car, you may be eligible for help from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency based on your medical records. If you need a vehicle or adaptations costing more than the standard grants they have available and you are unable to meet the cost yourself then you can apply to Motability for help too.
Ex-invalid Vehicle Service Holders
Motability can also help you if you previously drove a three-wheeled, blue "trike", or other Government vehicle.
There is no entitlement to help from Motability. All financial help is discretionary and subject to available funding.
All successful grant applicants are expected to contribute a minimum of £200 towards their vehicle and/or adaptations.
To find out more call the Motability Customer Service team on 0845 456 4566 Or visit www.motability.co.uk